So I came up with two ideas for desserts the other day, and this was one of them. I’m happy to report that it worked out!
Vegan Lemon Pies Inside of Apples
This makes four lemon pies.
Ingredients (Original Recipe)
- 4 Apples (I used Fuji)
- 2 Lemons
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Corn Starch
- 1 Tbsp Flour
- 1 Tbsp Vegan Butter (eg. Earth Balance)
- Pinch Salt
- Icing Sugar to Drizzle
- Juice one of the lemons.
- Cut the top off of the apples, and carve out their insides to create a hollow shell. Each time you finish with one of the apples, coat its insides with lemon juice. This will prevent it from browning.
- Optional: I put the apple carvings in a separate container, to use for a later day. When I was done preparing all the apples, I dumped the rest of the lemon juice in the container with those carvings and shook it up before placing it in the fridge.
- Juice the second lemon.
- In a small sauce pan, mix the sugar, corn starch, flour and salt. Stir in the water and lemon juice. Make sure there are no clumps.
- Bring the sauce pan to a boil. Stir frequently.
- Add the butter.
- Stir constantly until the mixture thickens.
- Take the sauce pan off the heat, and pour the contents into the four apples.
- Drizzle with icing sugar.
This dessert took no time at all to put together, and in terms of calories you’re looking at quite a reasonable amount – definitively below the 200 calories per apple mark. It tasted fine, but I felt like it needed something else beyond the apple and lemon filling. Perhaps it would have been better served by a crumb topping or whipped cream rather than the icing sugar drizzle.